top of page
  • I'm not sure what my next steps should be, can you help?
    If you're feeling lost and unsure about your next steps, you're not alone. Many of our clients face the same challenge when trying to resolve their own or their loved ones' immigration problems. We understand that the abundance of confusing information out there can make things even more overwhelming. We listen to your concerns and work with you to determine the best course of action. With our extensive experience in handling similar issues and staying up-to-date with the current legal climate, we will provide you with clear and tailored guidance on your next steps. We are here to support you every step of the way. Don't hesitate to reach out to us for help and advice.
  • What is an I-130 Family Petition, and how can it help me bring my family members to the United States?
    An I-130 Family Petition is a vital immigration form used to establish the relationship between a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder and their eligible family member seeking to immigrate to the United States. This petition serves as the initial step in the family-based immigration process. Once approved by USCIS, the family member may proceed with the next steps, such as consular processing or adjustment of status. However, the process can be complex, and success relies on accurate information, authentic relationships, and compliance with immigration laws. We can ensure a smooth journey for your family member's immigration process.
  • How do I apply for Adjustment of Status (Green Card) based on my family relationship with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident?
    To apply for Adjustment of Status (Green Card) based on a family relationship with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you need to submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This application allows eligible family members to become lawful permanent residents of the United States. The eligibility criteria and process may vary based on the specific family relationship and the sponsoring individual's immigration status. It is essential to gather all necessary documents, evidence, and information accurately to ensure a smooth and successful application
  • What are waivers in the context of family-based immigration, and when might I need one?
    In family-based immigration, a waiver is a request to overlook certain grounds of inadmissibility that could prevent someone from obtaining a visa or Green Card. These grounds may include unlawful presence or criminal convictions. You might need a waiver if you or your family member is deemed inadmissible due to such circumstances. The waiver process involves demonstrating qualifying reasons to forgive the inadmissibility and showcasing the best interest of the family member and the United States.
  • Can you explain the process and requirements for obtaining a Fiancé K1 visa to bring my fiancé(e) to the U.S. for marriage?
    To bring your fiancé(e) to the U.S. for marriage, you can apply for a Fiancé K1 visa. This visa permits your fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. for the purpose of getting married and subsequently adjusting their status to a lawful permanent resident.
  • How does the I-751 Petition Waiver work for removing conditions on my Green Card when I am no longer married to the sponsoring spouse?
    The I-751 Petition Waiver is a mechanism to remove conditions on a Green Card when the foreign spouse is no longer married to the U.S. citizen or permanent resident who sponsored them. If you are in this situation, you can file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, with the USCIS, requesting a waiver of the joint filing requirement. To qualify for the waiver, you must show that the marriage was entered into in good faith and that it was bona fide, even though it subsequently ended in divorce, annulment, or due to abuse by the sponsoring spouse. You will need to provide compelling evidence and legal arguments to support your case. The assistance of an immigration lawyer experienced in handling I-751 waivers can significantly enhance your chances of success and help ensure that your immigration status is protected.
  • What is asylum, and how can it be a defense against deportation?
    Asylum is a form of protection that allows individuals who have suffered persecution or have a well-founded fear of persecution in their home country to seek refuge in the United States. To apply for asylum, you must file Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, with the USCIS or with the Immigration Court, depending where you are situated in the process. Asylum must be filed within one year of your arrival in the U.S. or demonstrate exceptional circumstances that prevented you from filing within the deadline. If your application is approved, you will be granted asylum status. After oner year, you can be eligible to apply for adjustment of status., allowing you to remain in the U.S. and work legally. Asylum can be a powerful defense against deportation as it offers protection from removal to a safe country for those who have faced or fear persecution based on factors such as race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.
  • What is Cancelation of Removal, and who is eligible for this form of relief from deportation?
    Cancellation of Removal is a form of relief from deportation available to certain non-permanent residents and permanent residents facing removal proceedings before the immigration court. To be eligible, you must demonstrate continuous physical presence in the United States for at least ten years, show good moral character, and establish that your removal would cause exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, parent, or child. The requirements for Cancelation of Removal vary depending on whether you are a lawful permanent resident or a non-permanent resident. If you are successful in obtaining Cancelation of Removal, you will be allowed to remain in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident or have your deportation proceedings terminated.
  • Can I adjust my status to obtain a Green Card while facing deportation proceedings?
    In some cases, individuals facing deportation proceedings may be eligible to adjust their status to obtain a Green Card if they have an available immigrant visa category and meet specific eligibility criteria. Adjustment of Status allows certain individuals to change their non-immigrant status to that of a lawful permanent resident while they are in the U.S. The eligibility for adjustment of status varies depending on the type of visa and the underlying family or employment-based immigration category.
  • What is a bond hearing, and how can it help me or my loved one be released from detention during deportation proceedings?
    A bond hearing is a critical proceeding that allows detained individuals in immigration custody to request release by posting a bond. The purpose of the bond hearing is to determine whether the individual poses a danger to the community or is a flight risk. If the immigration judge grants the bond and the bond amount gets paid, the person will be released from detention while their deportation proceedings continue. A successful bond hearing can be crucial in reuniting families and providing individuals with the opportunity to pursue relief from deportation outside the confines of a detention facility. However, it is essential to have proper legal representation at the bond hearing to present compelling arguments and evidence supporting the individual's eligibility for release on bond.
  • What is a Motion to Reopen and Reconsider, and when is it appropriate to use in deportation cases?
    A Motion to Reopen and Reconsider is a legal remedy used in deportation cases to request the immigration court or the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) to review a prior decision. A Motion to Reopen asks the court to reopen a case and rescind the prior removal order. A Motion to Reconsider, on the other hand, asks the court to reexamine the case based on alleged errors in the original decision. It is essential to note that there are strict deadlines and requirements for filing a Motion to Reopen and Reconsider, and not all cases are eligible for this relief.
  • How can Prosecutorial Discretion play a role in immigration court cases?
    Prosecutorial Discretion is a practice where immigration authorities, such as the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), can use their discretion on how to proceed in a particular aspect of a case in removal proceedings. An example of this is the exercise of discretion by ICE to determine whether to place someone in removal proceedings or to dismiss the removal proceedings and not pursue deportation against an individual. Various factors may be considered, such as the individual's length of stay in the U.S., family ties, ties to the community, and any humanitarian or public interest factors. Prosecutorial Discretion allows immigration authorities to prioritize cases and allocate limited resources efficiently. It can play a significant role in immigration court cases by potentially halting or delaying deportation proceedings for individuals deemed low priority or non-threatening to public safety.
  • What are the requirements and process for naturalization, and how can I become a U.S. citizen?
    Naturalization is the process by which a foreign-born individual can become a U.S. citizen. To be eligible for naturalization, you must have been a lawful permanent resident for a specified period, demonstrate continuous residence and physical presence in the U.S., show good moral character, pass an English language and civics test, and take an Oath of Allegiance. The process involves filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with the USCIS. Upon approval of your application, you will attend a naturalization interview and take the citizenship test. If you pass the interview and test, you will be scheduled for a naturalization ceremony, during which you will take the Oath of Allegiance and become a U.S. citizen.
  • How can I acquire U.S. citizenship through various means, such as birth abroad or derived citizenship?
    U.S. citizenship can be acquired through various means, such as birth abroad or derived citizenship through your parents. If you were born abroad to U.S. citizen parents, you may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth through the principles of citizenship derived from your parents. The process of acquiring derived citizenship can be complex and may vary depending on whether you were born in wedlock or out of wedlock and the citizenship status of your U.S. citizen parents at the time of your birth.
  • Can you explain the U Visa and how it provides relief for victims of certain crimes?
    The U Visa is a form of humanitarian relief designed to protect victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of those crimes. To be eligible for a U Visa, you must have been a victim of a qualifying crime committed in the U.S. or violated U.S. laws, have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime, and have been, are, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. The U Visa application process involves submitting Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status, along with supporting documentation to the USCIS. If approved, you will be granted U Nonimmigrant Status, allowing you to live and work in the U.S. for up to four years. After three years of continuous U Visa status, you may apply for Adjustment of Status to become a lawful permanent resident.
  • What is Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), and who is eligible for this form of humanitarian relief?
    Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) is a form of humanitarian relief available to unmarried children under 21 who have been abused, neglected, or abandoned by one or both parents. SIJS allows qualifying children to obtain lawful permanent resident status in the United States. To be eligible for SIJS, you must have a valid juvenile court order issued by a state family court in the United States that makes findings of dependency or custody due to abuse, neglect, or abandonment. You can apply for SIJS by filing Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant, with the USCIS. SIJS is an essential humanitarian relief option for vulnerable children in difficult family circumstances, and seeking guidance from an experienced immigration lawyer can ensure that the SIJS process is handled with care and precision.
  • How can the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) benefit domestic violence victims in their immigration status?
    The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a federal law that provides protection and relief to certain victims of domestic violence, including spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents. VAWA allows eligible victims to self-petition for immigration benefits without the knowledge or consent of the abuser. To be eligible for VAWA benefits, you must demonstrate that you are a victim of battery or extreme cruelty by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse or parent. You must also show that you resided with the abusive spouse or parent, that your marriage was entered into in good faith (if applying as a spouse), and that you are a person of good moral character. VAWA provides a pathway for victims of domestic violence to gain independence from their abusers and obtain lawful permanent resident status in the United States. An experienced immigration lawyer can guide you through the VAWA self-petitioning process and help you build a compelling case for relief.
  • What is Parole in the context of immigration?
    In the context of immigration, Parole is a discretionary status that allows individuals to enter or remain in the United States for urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit. It provides a temporary solution to certain individuals who may not qualify for other forms of relief. Parole is typically granted on a case-by-case basis
bottom of page